Arthur Evrensel: Founding Partner of MEP Business Counsel and award-winning entertainment lawyer.
Legal Assistant: Kristine Freeman, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; ph: (604) 669-1119 ext 121
Arthur Evrensel is a founding partner of MEP Business Counsel. Arthur advises clients on entertainment law matters relating to television and motion picture development, production, financing and distribution, as well as digital media. He has extensive experience in structuring, negotiating and drafting of financing and distribution arrangements for international television and motion picture treaty co-productions and co-ventures. His practice focuses exclusively on representing content producers, writers, directors, investors, broadcasters, financiers, content creators, distributors, animation companies and international studios involved in the filmed entertainment and digital media industries.
Arthur has published numerous articles on entertainment law as it pertains to international co-productions and bank financing in the filmed entertainment industry. Arthur has lectured on entertainment law at McGill University in Montreal, the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, as well as at the University of Victoria, and has chaired numerous seminars and conferences relating to the film and television industry in Canada, the United States, China and England. He was the contributing editor of the Entertainment Agreements Volume of Canadian Forms & Precedent (2001-2007) published by Butterworths Canada. Arthur has been a member of the Board of Directors of Lions Gate Entertainment uninterrupted since 2001.
Arthur is recognized as one of Canada’s leading entertainment lawyers, including his recognition in: (i) the Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada compiled by Lexpert/American Lawyer (since 2001), (ii) the Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers (since 2005), (iii) the Who’s Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment, and (iv) The Best Lawyers in Canada (Woodward/White) since 2007. In 2012, he was named Vancouver Best Lawyer of the Year in Entertainment Law. Arthur has been recognized since 2002 in the annual Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory in entertainment law as “Most Frequently Recommended”.
Education: McGill University (1985 B.C.L., LL.B.; 1981 B.A.).
Call to the Bar: British Columbia 1992, Quebec 1985-2011, Ontario 1989-2014.
Recognized in Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Transactional experience representing private corporate and individual high net worth individuals in connection with share and asset acquisitions, investments and sales. Recent Transactions include:
- Represented a major Canadian production company in connection with the sale of a minority equity interest to one of the largest media and entertainment conglomerates in the United States;
- Represented Thunderbird Films, a major Canadian media and entertainment company in connection with the acquisition of a television production company, an animation production company and a factual series producer;
- Represented a Canadian producer in connection with the sale of a minority equity interest to a U.S. investor;
- Advised a high net worth individual’s significant investment in a number of major theatrical motion pictures;
- Represented Thunderbird Films, a major Canadian media and entertainment company in connection with the acquisition of a distribution company in the UK.
Entertainment Law (Production/Financing/Exploitation)
- Legal counsel to Lionsgate Entertainment and Thunderbird Films in connection with the CBC television series entitled “Ascension”.
- Legal counsel to No Trace Camping (David Gross and Jesse Shapira) in connection with the motion pictures entitled (a) “Goon” (starring Seann William Scott, Liev Schreiber and Jay Baruchel), (b) “The F-Word” (starring Daniel Radcliffe), (c) the Academy Award® nominated feature film “Room” (starring Brie Larson), which also won the People’s Choice Award at TIFF, (d) “Goon: Last of the Enforcers” (starring Seann William Scott, Liev Schreiber and Jay Baruchel), and (e) “Kin” (starring James Franco and Jack Reynor).
- Legal counsel to the creator and executive producers (Chris Haddock and Laura Lightbown) of the CBC television series entitled “The Romeo Section”.
- Legal counsel to Rovio Entertainment, the owners of the popular video game “Angry Birds” franchise, in connection with the production and financing of the animated theatrical motion picture for “Angry Birds”.
- Legal counsel to the producers (Tim Johnson and Oliver De Caigny) of the television series entitled “Strange Empire” on CBC, and the motion picture entitled “The Reckoning”.
- Legal counsel to Legendary Pictures in connection with a number of feature films.
- Legal counsel to the producers (Zachary Schiller and James McGough) of the feature film entitled “Midnight Sun” (starring Bella Thorne).
- Legal counsel to MGM Television in connection with the production and financing of the television series entitled “Fargo” and “The Handmaid’s Tale”.
- Legal counsel to the producers of the feature film entitled “The 9th Life of Louis DRAX”, produced under the Canada/UK co-production treaty, by Brightlight Pictures and distributed by Miramax.
- Legal counsel to the producers (John Lenic and Kaleena Kiff) of the Canada/UK treaty co-production theatrical motion picture entitled “The Legend of Barney Thompson” starring Emma Thompson and directed by Robert Carlyle.
- Legal counsel to Unity Pictures, the producer of the television series entitled “Cedar Cove”.
- Legal counsel to Lark Entertainment in connection with the television series entitled “Motive” on ABC in the United States and on CTV in Canada, and in connection with the television series entitled “High Moon” on Syfy Channel in the United States.
- Legal counsel to ITV Studios in connection with the television series entitled “The Good Witch” for Hallmark and “14 Days” for ABC.
- Legal counsel to William Shatner, the star, creator and executive producer of “The Captains” and “Shatner’s World”.
- Legal counsel to Brent Butt, the creator, star, executive producer and writer of the television series entitled “Corner Gas” (6 seasons) and “Hiccups” (2 seasons), the feature films entitled “Corner Gas: The Feature Film” and “No Clue”, as well as the animated series entitled “Corner Gas”.
- Legal counsel to Lionsgate Entertainment, Wow Unlimited Media Inc., Brightlight Pictures, Muse Entertainment Enterprises, Wind Sun Sky Entertainment, Skybound North Entertainment, Anaid Entertainment, Legendary Pictures/Legendary Television, Piller / Segan Company, FremantleMedia, Thunderbird Films, Miramax Pictures, MGM Television, ITV Studios, Robert Cooper, Michael Jaffe Films, Unity Pictures, GRB Entertainment, Mercury Filmworks, Michael Robison, Lark Entertainment, River Road Films, Howard Braunstein Films, Syntegrity Group, Julie Stewart & Scott Stewart, Anna Wallner & Kristina Matisic.